Emergency Dental Care in Redwood City
Same-day emergency dental care
Dr. Dinh will always see a patient with an emergency the same day during office hours.
Once your situation has been evaluated, Dr. Dinh can create an immediate plan of action to get your teeth fixed and your issue taken care of. She will do all that she can to make you comfortable and get started on treatment right away to alleviate pain or discomfort.
Tips when you have a dental emergency
- Toothache – Rinse your mouth out with warm water and with dental floss remove any particles of food. If you have a swollen mouth, apply a cold compress to the outside of your mouth.
- Dental abscess – Call us immediately as dental abscesses can lead to a serious infection if not treated right away. To ease the pain and to help draw the infection to the surface, rinse your mouth with a mild saltwater solution of ½ teaspoon salt in 8 ounces of water several times a day.
- Knocked out tooth –
- Try to place the tooth back in the mouth where it fell out, so it is level with other teeth. Bite down gently on gauze or a wet tea bag to help keep it in place. Be careful not to swallow the tooth.
- If the above step cannot be done, place the tooth in a container and cover with a small amount of whole milk or saliva.
- The tooth can also be carried between lower lip and lower gum or under the tongue.
- A tooth-saving storage device (Save-a-Tooth, EMT Tooth Saver) may be available at your dentist’s office. Such a kit contains a travel case and fluid solution.
- Loose crown – If a crown falls off try to slip it back over the tooth, first preparing the inside with over-the-counter dental cement, denture adhesive or even toothpaste. Otherwise, bring the crown with you.
- Lost dental filling – Seal the filling area with some sugarless gum or dental cement you can buy over the counter at the drug store.
- Broken tooth – Save the pieces if you can to bring with you. Rinse your mouth with warm water to get rid of any remaining small broken pieces. If there is bleeding or if you have pain, apply a cold compress to the area.